Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Exhibit A

See, this is exactly what I am talking about. While searching for Lego storage, I found this little gem.
Take a look. Not bad in concept, it is the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for. Nice red color, at least partly wooden, has segmented trays that come out. Great. Now, look at the price. But put down any beverages first.

Lego Storage

I snorted when I saw it too. Are the drawers lined with gold? Does it come with the elusive diamond and ruby Legos? Now surely, no one would purchase this item for that price. But wait! Glancing over the 2 reviews (I love Amazon reviews) you will see that the people like it but grumble about the size (too small) and of course the price. Apparently not enough to keep one of them from buying a second unit though! Seriously. That person spent $800 on Lego storage. I vow to that person, if you ever read this, for $800 I will personally come to your house, follow your child around, and sort all his Legos myself.

This is when I realized 2 things:
#1. Truly, the seller of this wooden red box is a genius. Unlike all those other suckers out there who would have to sell dozens of these products to turn that much profit, you can tell he decided to only have a few and thought to himself, I can just sell them for $400. Scoffing at any Econ 101 rules of pricing, he boldly made up a price...out of nowhere. And it worked. My hat is off to you.
#2. Genuinely good toy storage is wide open for some competition, my friends.

3 comments:

  1. What happened to your loyalty to IKEA? I think you could find a perfectly reasonable solution to this situation at your favorite home-decor store. I was just there the other day and wasn't shopping for LEGO storage, but there's just got to be something.

    And you're not the only one whose husband suggests that he can make something better and cheaper and doesn't often follow through. Thus, I bought a bench/ storage thing for the back hallway at IKEA on Monday, and I'll probably have to put it together myself, too!

    LOVE your blog idea. Can't wait to read more!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love Ikea - there is a toy storage system there that I like and I think would work for Lego, but it has open bins and Eric thinks it should have closed containers. After watching Lucas trip and fall while carrying K'nex to his room I have to kind of agree. I think we will need a trip there sometime later this year though!

    ReplyDelete